This test was also created by Elaine Aron but this test is not backed up by as much research as the HSP test. It will give you a rough idea of your HSS tendencies. Compared to other HSS tests, this version does not have items that imply taking a serious risk, or very much risk of any kind.
Answer each question according to the way you feel. Answer true if it is at least somewhat true for you. Answer false if it is not very true or not at all true for you.
- If it were safe, I would like to take a drug that would cause me to have strange new experiences.
- I can become almost painfully bored in some conversations.
- I would rather go to a new place I may not like than go back again to a place I know I like.
- I would like to try a sport that creates a physical thrill, like skiing, rock climbing, or surfing.
- I get restless if I stay home for long.
- I don't like waiting with nothing to do.
- I rarely watch a movie more than once.
- I enjoy the unfamiliar.
- If I see something unusual, I will go out of my way to check it out.
- I get bored spending time with the same people everyday.
- My friends say it is hard to predict what I will want to do.
- I like to explore a new area.
- I avoid having a daily routine.
- I am drawn to art that gives me an intense experience.
- I like substances that make me feel "high."
- I prefer friends who are unpredictable.
- I look forward to being in a place that is new and strange to me.
- To me, if I am spending the money to travel, the more foreign the country the better.
- I would like to be an explorer.
- I enjoy it when someone makes an unexpected sexual joke or comment that starts everyone laughing a little nervously.
Scoring the Sensation Seeker Self Test
FOR WOMEN If you answered true to 11 or more of the questions, you're probably a sensation seeker. If you answered true to 7 or less of the questions, you are probably not a sensation seeker. If you answered true to 8, 9, or 10 of the questions, you are probably somewhere in between on sensation seeking.
FOR MEN If you answered true to 13 or more of the questions, you're probably a sensation seeker. If you answered true to 9 or less of the questions, you are probably not a sensation seeker. If you answered true to 10, 11, or 12 of the questions, you are probably somewhere in between on sensation seeking. Yes, you can be an HSP and score high on sensation seeking too.
And...are you a sensation seeker? Share on the comment below!
The test on this page is © Elaine Aron and cannot be reproduced without her permission. For more information, visit hsperson.com